Pizza on the Grill
I love pizza. Not the garbage fast food pizza, but the wonderful pizza that can be made at home with natural ingredients and the fun of creating pizza your way.
Pizza is America’s Favorite Food. But in the summer often we opt to delivery before we heat up the house to bake our pizza. Have you ever done pizza on the grill? If not, perhaps now it the time to give it a try. I love it, it keeps the heat out of the house and the flavor is a nice change from oven baked pizza From the grill to the smoker, you can do your pizza out side with little effort and at the same time create some great toppings by grilling them first on the grill. Like chicken, meats, and vegetables, that add flavor and excitement to the pizza.
Once you try pizza on the grill, you will not be satisfied with pizza any other way.
- Your favorite pizza dough recipe will be required. I would suggest one from one of my cookbooks. Chef Brad's Secret Pizza Dough Recipe would work great. Or try the Crispy Pizza Dough.
- Olive oil
- Bell peppers
- Portabella mushrooms
- Zucchini squash
- Garlic salt
- Boneless Breast of Chicken
- Brush the boneless chicken breast with olive oil and season with garlic salt and place on grill. Take the vegetables and cut them the long way. Brush with olive oil and season with garlic salt. Grill on hot grill until dark brown, turning when needed. Remove chicken and vegetables from grill and chop into small pieces and toss together.
- Divide dough into equal softball size portions. Roll each one out to desired thickness. Brush the side you are putting down first with olive oil. Place on grill olive oil side down. While it is baking, brush the side facing up with olive oil. When bottom side is done, this will depend on how hot your grill is, flip it over. It is easier to use small pizzas for this process. While second side is cooking place grilled chicken and vegetables on dough. Spread out evenly and top with cheese. At this point you can cover the grill to melt the cheese, being careful not to burn the bottom. Remove form grill and cut and enjoy.
- If you are a red sauce and cheese pizza person in stead of the vegetables and chicken, brush the cooked side with pizza sauce and top with cheese.
Chef Brad’s Secret Pizza Dough Recipe:
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or other flavor
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sour dough starter
- 3 cups Natural White or other high-gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons Saf or other instant yeast
- Preheat grill to high, 475-500 degrees. In WondeMix bowl with dough hook, combine ingredients, using only half the high-gluten flour, with yeast on top. Begin mixing, adding flour until dough cleans sides of bowl. Knead for 6 minutes to develop gluten.
- Place in oiled bowl; cover; let rise for 30-45 minutes. Cut dough into thirds. Roll out and bake directly on hot pizza stone racks in your hot grill.