After making your own buns, it is hard to buy them at the store.
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- ¼ cup oil or butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour, fresh ground
- ¼ cup teff or fresh ground pop corn, don’t grind the teff, but if using popcorn grind in your Wondermill
- 2 tablespoons Saf instant yeast
- Natural white flour
- Add ingredients in the order given to your WonderMix Turn on mixer and add white flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Mix for 6 minutes.
- Remove and divide into 12 pieces or 24 if doing sliders. Roll into balls using your cupped hand. Flatten into burger size circles, place on parchment paper, 6 to a pan, leaving plenty of room for them to grow.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise to double and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes and then drop temperature to 325 degrees and cook for another 6 to 10 minutes.
- Bacon and feta cheese
- Golden raisins and dill
- Smoked Spanish Paprika and kalamata olives
The options can be added in the beginning of the process in your bowl, with the exception of Feta cheese. Always add the Feta in the last minute of kneading to retain shape and texture .
Sometimes I use all natural white Flour and no spelt flour and just add the teff. It depends on the mood I am in. Bread does not always have to be healthy as long as we are using chemical free quality products. You can also do this recipe with whole wheat if you desire.