(the popcorn in the video below did not last longer than 3 hours in our studio kitchen)
- 2 cups nuts, lightly roasted
- 8 to 10 cups popcorn
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, only butter
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place popped corn in a large buttered bowl.
- Roast nuts and place in a bowl with popcorn.
- In heavy sauce pan place the sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tarter, and salt. Bring to a boil on high heat stirring constantly. Drop temperature to medium high and cook for 5 minutes or until it reached hard ball stage. (forms a hard ball when dropped into cold water).
- After mixture reaches hard ball stage, remove from heat and add the vanilla and baking soda.
- Stir well and then pour over popcorn in a large sprayed bowl and add nuts. Mix well to coat popcorn.
- Pour out onto butter cookie sheet and press lightly.
- Cool until hard and break into pieces.
Warning: this can be addictive and add considerable joy and happiness to the holiday season.
Make sure to make plenty and share with friends, neighbors, and anyone else you want to cheer up.