Of course the most famous use of barley is for soup. It does make soup a perfect comfort food.
Italian Sausage and Barley Soup
Author: Chef Brad
- 3 Italian Sausage mild or hot
- 3 table spoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 diced garlic cloves
- ½ green shredded Cabbage
- 2 large diced carrots
- 2-3 medium diced potatoes
- 1 medium diced zucchini
- 1 large can diced tomatoes, I like fire roasted ones
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning I love Penzeys Tuscun Sunset
- 2 cups cooked Barley
- 2 cups water (can also use vegetable or chicken stock)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown sausage.
- At the same time, in large sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until almost done,
- Then add mushrooms and continue sautéing until mushrooms are tender.
- Add browned sausage and remaining ingredients, bring to boil and then drop to simmer until vegetables are tender or you just cannot wait any longer or when the bread comes out of the oven.