One of my families favorite recipes is Potato Bread, it is like cake because as soon as I make it and it is gone. Potatoes and spelt are a great combination!
Spelt Potato Bread
Author: Chef Brad
- 3 small potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 cup sour dough starter
- 2 cups warm water
- ⅓-1/2 cup xagave
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 6 cups fresh ground spelt flour
- 2 cups white bread flour (optional)
- 2 T. Saf-instant yeast
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Boil until soft. Do not drain. Mash potatoes in pot with water still in it.
- In a WonderMix mixer, add the potatoes, sour dough starter, water, xagave, oil, and salt. Add in a cup of spelt flour, and yeast on top. Begin mixing and adding flour until the dough pulls from the sides of bowl. Let knead for 6 minutes.
- Oil working surface, and pull dough out of mixer. Cut off two, 2 lb pieces. Place loaves in their pre-greased loaf pans. Let rest until they double in size. Put in a preheated 400 degree oven, and immediately drop down the temperature to 325 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until brown and internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- While the 2 lb. loaves are rising, flatten the rest of the dough out on a piece of parchment paper. Mark finger holes in top. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt. Preheat oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone in it. Place bread on stone and cook for 7-8 minutes.