Fresh Baked Bread
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons Xagave or sugar
- 4 tablespoons oils
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- High gluten white flour (for adding until dough cleans edges of bowl)
- 2 tablespoons saf instant yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place water, sourdough starter, oil, sugar, salt, and half the flour into the mixer.
- Place yeast on top and turn on mixer.
- Add more flour, as needed, to clean sides of bowl.
- After dough cleans sides of bowl, knead for 6 minutes.
- Remove the dough from mixer and form into large ball.
- Place on parchment, let rise double in size.
- Turn oven down to 325 degrees and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until internal bread temperature is 180° to 185°.
Sun Dried Tomato Bread: add 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes and 1/2 cup whole grain teff.
Walnut Butter Cinnamon Bread: replace oil with butter, increase xagave by 2 tablespoons, and add 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts.
Sourdough Feta Bread: For the last minute of kneading, add 1/2 cup crumbled feta (while mixer is still on).
Sourdough Jalapeno Cheese Bread: add 3 seeded jalapenos, 1 chopped roasted pepper, and 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese.